Goan Pork Sorpotel is yet another famous Goan Pork dish cooked at nearly all weddings, parties, festivals and different occasions and also my favorite dish. This traditional goan sorpotel is mostly prepared with the combination of pork meat and pork liver or heart.
This Goan Pork Sorpotel Recipe also has been derived from the famous Portuguese Pork Dishes. This common pork dish is mostly prepared at all Goan, Mangalorean, East Indian houses in India and all over the world . It is also a special dish in north eastern areas of Brazil.
Goan Sorpotel is called with different names like Pork Sarapatel, Pork Sorapatel, Pork Soropotel, Pork Sorpotel. Not to get confused, different recipe name is used at different places.
This is one of my favorite pork dish from the childhood, and I learned this recipe from my beloved Mom, who used to prepare this pork sorpotel on all occasions like Chirstmas, Birthdays and any parties.
Pork Vindaloo and Pork Sorpotel are both the most common recipes cooked at at most of the festive occasions. Celebrating any occasion without preparing this Pork Sorpotel Dish is like celebrating an incomplete occasion.
This Pork Sorpotel will become more tasty if it is kept for 2 to 3 days or more, and in this duration all the spices used will get properly absorbed by the meat and increase the taste. It is better to cook this pork dish in advance for better taste.
Which Pork items are used in making Goan Sorpotel.
In Past, tradtional Pork Sorpotel was prepared with Pork Meat, Liver, Heart and also Pork Blood. But now days mostly, Pork Blood is not easily available everywhere, it is skipped. In my Pork Sorpotel Goan Style I have used Pork meat and Liver.
Can Pork Meat with fat be used to Prepare Pork Sorpotel.
For making this luscious and delicious goan pork sorpotel, pork with fat is very much preferred to be cooked with. But now days as health priority is very important, pork is mostly cooked with less fat or without fat.
How to Prepare Goan Pork Sorpotel
- Lightly roast the cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, red kashmiri chillies, cloves individually, then grind them with ginger garlic paste, tamarind extract and vinegar and keep aside.
- Boil the pork and liver in water with 1 tbsp vinegar and salt, then drain and keep the water aside and cut the pork and liver into small cubes, then lightly fry this pork meat and liver pieces and keep them aside.
- Fry the onions till golden brown, then add the grinded masala and fry till 4 – 5 minutes, and then add the chopped pork and liver cubes and fry for another 7 – 8 minutes.
- Now add the stock water kept aside, with sugar / jaggery and let it cook on low heat for 20-30 minutes. Adjust the vinegar and salt if required according to taste. And cook till goan pork sorpotel done.
Sides that go with Goan Pork Soropotel / Sarapatel
Goan Sorpotel is mostly served with Goan Sannas (Goan Steamed Rice Cake) and not only at occasions like festival, parties, etc. but at any time. This pork dish also goes well with steamed rice, jeera rice and also can be served as side dish.
Try Our Other Delicious Goan Recipes !!Print
Goan Pork Sorpotel / Sarapatel is a very famous and delicious pork dish of Portuguese Origin. This Goan Sorpotel is mostly prepared at all type of occasions by the Goans, Mangloreans and East Indians all over the globe
- 1/2 kilogram Pork Meat
- 1/2 kilogram Pork Liver / Beef Liver
- 4 large Onions chopped
- 1 inch Ginger chopped
- 7–8 garlic Cloves chopped
- 2 Green Chillies sliced
- 2 tablespoon Sugar / Jaggery for taste
- 3 tablespoon cooking oil
- vinegar (optional, if required)
- 3 inches Cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 20 Red Kashmiri Chillies
- 18 Black Pepper Corns
- 18 Cloves
- 6 tablespoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 2 tablespoon Tamarind Extract
- Vinegar (as required to grind paste)
- Lightly roast the dry ingredients individually in the grinding section and keep them aside. Then grind these roasted ingredients with vinegar, ginger garlic and tamarind extract (from grinding section), then keep the grinded masala aside.
- Rinse the jar used for grinding with water and keep the water aside.
- Boil the pork meat and liver on medium heat with enough water for 20 -25 minutes, also add 1 tablespoon vinegar and 1 tablespoon salt while boiling. After boiling drain and keep this water aside.
- Now chop the pork meat and liver in small cubes and then lightly fry them and keep aside.
- In the same oil, saute the onions till soft and translucent.
- Now add the chopped garlic, ginger and chillies and further saute for atleast 2 – 3 minutes.
- Then add the grinded masala and saute for another 3 – 4 minutes.
- Now add the fried meat and liver and saute for another 3 – 4 minutes.
- Now add the water kept aside of the jar and boiled meat, and stir well. After that add sugar / jaggery and stir well.
- Now cook this pork sorpotel on low heat for 30 – 40 minutes and till the gravy is thickened. Adjust for vinegar, sugar and salt required according to the taste.
- Cook for another 5 minutes and the Goan Pork Sorpotel is ready.
- It is mostly kept for atleast 2 – 3 days for better taste and served with Goan Sannas (goan steamed cake), goan pao (bread), steamed rice, pulav or it can also be served as a side dish.
- It is better to keep the cooked pork sorpotel for atleast 2 days for better taste. More the days better the taste.
Keywords: pork sorpotel, goan pork sarapatel