Goan Patoleo Recipe or Goan Patoli Recipe is yet another traditional goan sweet dish. This Patolio is mostly prepared during festive occasions at Goa, Mangalore and different konkan areas. This patoli is my childhood favorite and tasty sweet dish, my mom always prepared this Goan Patolio on August 15th.
Goan Patoleo are mostly prepared at special occasions like Solemnity of Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary which is on August 15th which is also India’s Independence Day. Also at June 24th Sao Joa Feast and Ganesh Chaturti. On all these Occasions, this Goan Patoli is prepared and shared with friends and neighbors.
People refer to these Goan Patoleo with different names at all different places like Goan Patolio, Patoli, Patholi, Patios. These Patolios are mostly served at evening during tea times.
The main ingredients on how to make Goan Patoleo. They are rice flour, grated coconut, goan jaggery and turmeric leaves (main ingredient). This Goan Patoli gets a very unique flavor from the turmeric leaf used and makes is very delicious.
This Goan Patoli is a steamed sweet dish, and is a very easy patoleo recipe. Mostly a Steamer Utensil is used to make goan patoli.
How to Prepare Goan Patoleo
- Soak the rice in water for 2 – 3 hours or overnight. Then drain the water and grind the soaked rice with little salt to a soft thick paste.
- Take a thick bottom pan and cook the jaggery with little water on low heat, till it get dissolved. Then add grated coconut and little salt. Cook stirring regularly, till water is evaporated. Finally add the cardamon powder. Keep it aside to cool
- Next take the turmeric leaves, wash them and nicely clean them with dry cloth. Then apply a thin and even layer of rice paste, over the turmeric leaf. Now add coconut jaggery mixture on one side and fold the turmeric leaf properly Do this for all turmeric leaves properly.
- Take the Steamer Utensil and steam the stuffed turmeric leaves for patoli. Steam for 15 – 20 minutes and leaf color changes. And then Keep them aside. Let it cool down and Goan Patolio or Goan Patoleo are ready for serving.
Also Try Our Other Delicious Goan RecipesPrint
Goan Patolio is a traditional Goan Sweet Dish Recipe, prepared with the turmeric leaf and gives a good taste and aroma. This is mostly cooked at festive occasions and monsoon time in India, as these turmeric leaves are easily available at this time.
For Goan Patoleo
- 2 cups Rice (boiled rice)
- 14 Turmeric Leaves (medium sized)
Goan Patolio Stuffing
- 2 cups Grated Coconut
- 1 cup Grated Goan Jaggery
- 1 tablespoon Cardomon powedered (Elaichi)
- To Make Goan Patollio, first soak the rice in sufficient water for atleast 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- Then drain the water, and grind this rice with little salt to smooth and thick paste.
Preparation for Patolio Stuffing Mixture
- Take a thick bottom pan and heat it, and add goan jaggery with little water (nearly 1/4 cup) and cook on low heat.
- Cook this stirring occasionally till the jaggery completely get dissolved.
- Then add the grated coconut with a pinch of salt and cook on medium heat. Cook this till the water evaporates and the mixture is thick.
- Finally add caradmon powder and mix it very well. Close the heat and let the Patollio Stuffing Mixture cool down.
Prepare Goan Patoleo
- Wash the turmeric leaves with water and wipe them with dry clean cloth or paper.
- Apply the thick rice paste very smoothly and thinly all over the turmeric leaf. Don’t go to the extreme edges.
- Now add coconut jaggery mixture all over the rice paste evenly on one side of the turmeric leaf.
- After that fold the Patolli leaf nicely, pressing the extreme edges nicely to seal it.
- Follow this procedure for all Goan Patolli leaves.
- Now place the Goan Patolio leaves in the steamer in groups (based on steamer size) and steam them for 15 – 20 minutes, till the patolios are properly done and the patoli leaf color changes little.
- Remove these patoleos from the steamer and let it cool.
- Goan Patoleo is ready to be served. It is served with the leaf either hot or cool.
- Cut these turmeric leaves according to the size of the steamer or container
- If you don’t have steamer, a pressure cooker or any cooking utensil can be used. Here fill with some water below, then place the cooking stand in water, and place the cooking tray on this stand with these patolis layed. Cover it and steam it.
- If there is no Goan Jaggery then Sugarcane Jaggery can also be used.
Keywords: goan patolli recipe, goan patoli, goan patolio recipe, goan patoleo