Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe is a famous Indian Rice Dish, cooked with marinated juicy chicken and layers of Basmati Rice and caramelized onions. It is really a delicious and a mouth watering biryani dish prepared at all occasions. Never miss it at any occasion. Check our step by step methods to make Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani
Biryani is not only prepared from Chicken. But also other mutton biryani, vegetable biryani, paneer biryani and fish biryani dishes are prepared. But right now lets talk about our chicken dum biryani recipe.
Chicken Biryani contains different type of biryani versions, this recipe I have used is almost like the restaurant type Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani .
This Dum Biryani is easy and once you get the hang of it you will enjoy cooking. Here the complete biryani taste depends on the spices used for chicken marination, fried onions and rice. Proper spices used at marination makes the chicken really juicy.
Which type of Rice should be used to Make Chicken Dum Biryani
To prepare biryani, actually any type of rice can be used, but for better taste, mostly Basmati Rice is the best I use. Basmati Rice is long grained rice, giving a good aroma. Basmati Rice is also easily available, if not, try the super markets. Here for this Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani I used old Basmati Rice. You can also buy this at basmati rice online.
For Tasty Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani which Chicken Pieces are better.
Any whole chicken cut into pieces with bones can be used for biryani. But to make chicken dum biryani more tasty and juicy, use chicken drumsticks and chicken thigh pieces. Skinless Chicken should be used to prepare this biryani dish.
How long should the Chicken should be marinated?
After applying the marination spices, the chicken should be marinated for atleast 2 hours. But if chicken is kept for overnight marination overnight in refrigerator, the chicken biryani would become more delicious. Chicken also become tender and the taste depends on the marination.
How to Make Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani
- For Chicken Dum Biryani, take the thick bottom cooking pan, heat the oil, and fry the sliced onions till golden brown and keep them aside.
- Add the chicken pieces to this cooking vessel used above, along with remaining oil . Then add all the marination spices and marinate for atleast 2 hours. If kept for a longer duration it would taste better.
- Soak Basmati Rice for 40 minutes and then drain the water. Keep water for boil with salt and other rice spices. When it starts boiling add the soaked Basmati Rice. Cook rice, till 70 percent cooked and drain the water.
- Add this cooked rice on the marinated chicken and sprinkle garam masala, coriander leaves, mint leaves and fried onions. And add the saffron soaked in milk and finally desi ghee.
- Cover the utensil with little damp cloth or aluminium foil and place the utensil cover lid to dum the biryani. Now cook the hyderabadi biryani on medium flame for 10 -12 minutes. Then let the biryani get cooked on low flame for nearly 25 – 30 minutes. Then stop the flame and wait for another 10 minutes and then open the cover. Now our delicious Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani is ready.
Sides that go with Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani
Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani tastes better when served with Raita. Raita is mostly prepared with curds, chopped onions, cucumber and tomatoes. Boondi Raita also goes very well.
Also Try Our Other Delicious RecipesPrint
Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani is very delicious and mouth watering Indian dish. Try this recipe, it much easy. This recipe is called Dum Biryani as it is prepared on slow fire and the vessel is sealed to block the steam. In this recipe, the biryani gets a good flavor of all the spices mixed, fried onions and makes delicious chicken dum biryani.
- 4 medium sized onions
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
Chicken Marination For Hyderabadi Biryani
- 1 kg chicken, cut and clean (prefer chicken drumsticks and thighs)
- l lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- 3 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 8 cloves (lavang)
- 10 – 12 peppercorns
- 4 – 5 green chillies slit (adjust to taste)
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 5 tablespoons fresh mint leaves (cilantro)
- 1/2 of the fried onions
- 1 cup curds (beaten)
- 3 cups Basmati Rice (older rice preferred)
- 1 star anise (phool chakra )
- 3 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 6 cloves (laung)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- 2 bay leaves (tej patta)
- 4 green cardamom (elaichi)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 black peppercorns (kala miri)
- 2 – 3 teaspoons salt (adjust to taste)
- 14 – 15 cups water
Other Indregients for Hyderabadi Biryani
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 3 tablespoons hot milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 4 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- fried onions remaining
- 2 tablespoons desi ghee (clarified butter)
Brown Onions for Hyderbadi Chicken Biryani
- Nicely peel the onions and wash them. Cut these onions very thinly and evenly. Then keep them on the kitchen tissue paper for some time to make the dry and absorb moisture.
- First heat the oil in the broad and thick bottom cooking pan (where final biryani will cooked). Then add the sliced onions and fry them on medium flame, till they become golden brown. Fry them stirring regularly. Then put the fried onions on the kitchen tissue paper to absorb the extra oil. And let the oil cool down. Keep the onions aside.
- If onions are fried much earlier it can be stored in an air tight container.
Marination for Hyderabadi BIryani
- In the thick bottom cooking pan used above with the remaining oil, add the chicken pieces and mix them well with all the marination spices like salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, ginger garlic paste, slit green chillies, caraway seeds, green cardamon, cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, bay leaf, beaten curd, chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, and half of the fried onions and let it marinate atleast for 2 hours.
- Longer or overnight marination will make this hyderabadi biryani more tasty.
Parboiled Rice for Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani
- When ready to cook, nicely wash the rice for 3 – 4 times with water, until clear water is seen.
- Soak the rice in sufficient water for 40 minutes. Then drain the water and keep the rice aside.
- Now boil 14 – 15 cups water for the rice and add salt, oil and other spices in Parboiled Rice. Taste the water for salt.
- When this water starts boiling, add the washed rice and cook it. When 70 percent of the rice is cooked, drain the water and keep the rice aside. This rice should be little raw in the middle.
How to Prepare Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani
- Before cooking the rice, take the saffron , soak and mix it well in hot milk.
- Now take the thick bottom cooking pan with the marinated chicken and layer the parboiled rice over it very evenly.
- Then sprinkle the garam masala, coriander leaves and mint leaves and the balanced fried onions over the rice. Finally add the saffron mixed with milk and the desi ghee all over.
- Cover this cooking pan with aluminium foil sheet to block the air and close the lid very tightly. Cook on high flame for 7 – 8 minutes. Then on low flame 30 minutes. After cooking, close this flame and let the vessel remain closed with seal for 10 minutes.
- Delicious Hyderabadi Dum BIryani is ready for serving. Serve it with any raita.
- Start soaking the Basmati Rice when you are ready to cook and the chicken marination is nearly done.
- If you don’t have a thick bottom cooking pan, then onions can be fried in any frying pan. And use any broad cooking vessel, place this vessel on the tawa to distribute proper heat.
- Adjust the salt and chili to your taste preference.
- If you don’t have aluminium foil, dough can be used to seal the utensil,.
- Chicken marinated at night at kept in refrigerator tastes better.
Keywords: hyderabadi chicken dum biryani, chicken biryani, hyderabadi biryani