Crab Xacuti is a traditional and delicious Goan Crab Curry or Goan Crab Masala. This Goan Crab Xacuti Recipe is also my family’s favorite coastal dish. To Make Crab Curry in Goan Style mostly roasted spices are used which gives a good aroma. Check this recipe to see how to prepare crab curry.
I Still remember my childhood when my mom would get fresh crabs from the market. And she used to make this delicious goan crab masala. And we always enjoyed that meal. I still have that taste of the crab curry in my mind.
What is Xacuti?
Xacuti is a Traditional Goan Curry Masala which has roasted spices. Other dishes of Xacuti types are cooked. Mostly Xacuti dishes prepared are Chicken Xacuti, Crab Xacuti, Prawns Xacuti, Mixed Vegetable Xacuti and Paneer Xacuti. Also Readymade Xacuti Masalas are available in the market.
If you are not familiar with crab cleaning , it is better to get the crabs cleaned from the market. Also Always buy crabs from the market which are not stored in water.
Is Goan Crab Xacuti Curry Very Spicy?
Goan Crab Curry or Goan Crab Masala is little spicy but very tasty. To make crab curry, the spiciness of the curry can be reduced. Use red chillies and peppercorns according to your taste.
How To Prepare Crab Curry in Goan Style
- Clean and get the crabs from the market.
- Extract the tamarind pulp and keep it aside. Then wash and drain the crabs. The crab legs also can be broken and added.
- Heat Little Oil and take all the ingredients in Grinded Masala and fry them individually till it a minute or till you get a good aroma and keep them aside ( one onion, Kashmiri chilies, coconut, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, poppy seeds, cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds, peppercorns, javitri, caradomon, ginger and garlic) (fry them individually)
- Now Grind the roasted ingredients to smooth paste with little water.
- In the cooking pan add oil and fry the remaining onions till lightly brown. Then add the tomatoes and fry them till well cooked or 3 minutes
- Now add little sugar, nutmeg powder and turmeric powder and fry for another few seconds. Then add the grinded paste, mix well, and saute it, till you get good aroma of the masala.
- Add the crabs and mix it well so that it is well covered by the masala. Finally add a cup of water and tamarind pulp and bring to a boil and then cook for 10-15 minutes. Then depending on your consistency you can add little water and salt to your taste and cook.
- Finally the Goan Crab Masala / Goan Crab Xacuti is cooked. Serve it with steamed rice, chapati, bread.
Sides that go with Goan Crab Curry / Goan Crab Masala
Goan Crab Curry / Crab Xacuti goes well with steamed rice. It also can be served with chapati and bread. Mostly garnished with coriander leaves.
Also Try Our Other Delicious Goan RecipesPrint
This Crab Masala is a delicious Coastal Goan Crab Curry, prepared mostly at Goan Houses. Whenever Crabs are available in the market, this crab xacuti is one of the common dish cooked. Its tastes delicious for the roasted masala, that is used while cooking. Try this crab curry out.
- 8 fresh Crabs
- 2 medium sized chopped Onions
- 2 medium sized chopped Tomatoes
- 1 small ball of Tamarind.
- a little pinch of nutmeg powder (pinch)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 7 tbsp oil
- a little pinch of sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 cups water
Roast and Grinding Masala
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 28 flakes garlic
- 1.5 inch fresh ginger cut into small pieces
- 2 tsp poppy seeds (khuskhus)
- 1/2 coconut grated
- 8 kashmiri chillies
- 7 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1.5 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1.5 inch cinnamon stick
- 8 cloves
- 7 peppercorns
- 3 green caradamon
- 3 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 small flake mace (javitri)
- Clean and get the Crabs.
- Extract tamarind pulp and keep aside
- Wash the Crabs and drain them. Also the crab legs can be separated and added
- Heat little oil in the frying pan and dry roast the following separately and keep them aside, one chopped onion, coconut, and kashmiri chilies.
- Then fry these ingredients separately and keep them aside, Coriander seeds, Cumin Seeds, Poppy Seeds, Cinnamon, Cloves, Fennel Seeds, Peppercorns, Javitri and Caradamon. Fry them for a minute or till it starts giving a good aroma
- And then gently fry the ginger and garlic and keep aside,
- Finally Grind all these roasted ingredients to a smooth paste adding little water
- In the cooking pan add oil and fry the remaining 2 chopped onions till they are lightly brown
- Then add the tomatoes and fry till they are well cooked for nearly 3 minutes
- Then add sugar, tumeric powder and nutmug powder and cook for a few seconds
- Add the grounded paste, and mix well and saute till you get masala’s good aroma .
- Then add the crabs and gently mix it so that it is well covered with the masala
- Then add 1 cup water and the tamarind pulp and bring it to a boil and then cook for about 10 – 15 minutes
- If you require add more water according to your consistency and you can add salt to your taste and cook
- Serve this Goan Crab Masala / Goan Crab Xacuti with coriander leaves dressing and steamed rice, bread or chappati
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Goan, Indian, Seafood